A generous blogger somehow landed on my blog and liked what they were reading. They even liked my blog enough to nominate it for a Liebster award, not a physical award but more of a chain blog award passed around the blogging community as a sweet and simple way of getting to know one another. Thank you, Awfully Big Adventure, you made my day! The way it works is I answer 10 questions and then I pay forward the Liebster kindness by nominating 10 blogs below. Feel free to check them out at the bottom of this post. But first, it’s question & answer time.
1. How long have you been blogging?
Back in January of 2011, I was preparing to move to Lhasa, China where I would teach English to college students. I wanted to document my travels and experiences, so that’s when it all started! If you’d like to check out some of those posts, you’ll find them here, under the “Asia” category. What an incredible 14 months that was!
2. What or who serves as your blogging inspiration?
Oh, there are too many to count. But I especially love to follow blogs that post on subjects relating to art, design, fashion, home improvement, DIY and travel. I’m particularly drawn to great photography!
3. If you’re not in front of your computer writing a post, what could your fans find you doing to enjoy your free time?
Painting, decorating our home, hanging out with the Hubs, reading the Bible, chilling with friends, jogging, watching episodes of The Voice or Naked and Afraid.
4. Has there ever been a project or idea that didn’t go as you planned? AKA, any DIY disasters?
Oh yes. Well one semi-recent one was the first time I refinished our coffee table in the living room. I used some sheets of metal and hammered them to the table surface after spray painting the table. The look of it was cool…until the metal started collecting rusted rings from our water glasses! So I refinished it for a second time. I stained some fence posts from our yard and used wood glue to adhere them over the metal. We love it.
6. Where do you see your blog in 1 year?
In a year, I’ll probably still be blogging about many of the same things. But I also hope to have a revamped Etsy shop up with a new collection of (smallish) artwork, patterns and other goodies to blog about!
5. If you had to describe yourself in three words, what would they be?
1) serious 2) unserious 3) creative
7. If you could have anyone play you in a movie, who would it be and why?
Gwyneth Paltrow, because I guess she’s my closest celeb look-alike (according to a few).
8. What’s your favorite home purchase/project you ever made?
The SUPER soft blanket at the foot of our bed from Tuesday Morning (below):
I can’t describe to you how soft that blanket is!
9. Any travel plans this year?
Going to New Zealand at the beginning of May!!!! We get to visit Abe and Heidi 🙂 When I first met my husband, we both agreed that if we could travel anywhere in the world, New Zealand was at the top of the list. Now we get to go!!
Here is Heidi and I in front of the Potala Palace in 2012, dressed in some Tibetan garb.
10. What advice would you give to any other new bloggers out there?
Write about what you love, your passion will speak volumes! But I’m no expert.
Now here are the 10 blogs I’m nominating:
- Ryoko Tajiri – Her paintings are stunning.
- United Thread – The gorgeous artwork of Michelle Morin. I can’t tell you how big a fan I am of her work.
- Tokidoki – World travel photo blog with fantastic images.
- M.Lever – A truly talented photographer.
- The Messy Middle – Amy has made a big impact in my life. Her words are simultaneously powerful and gracious.
- Fingerprints Updates – Ok, yes, she’s my sister. I’m partial, what can I say?
- Welcome Heart – Excellent food for body and soul.
- Potter’s Clay – One of the most precious families my husband and I are blessed to know, their five blond kiddos call us “Aunt Holly & Uncle David”.
- Velvet Ashes – I worked overseas for a bit and I absolutely love what these women are about.
- Rooted in Paper – I really dig the design work of Christina Carroll.
Thanks again, Awfully Big Adventure! With gratitude.